| STAR GAZING |
| SOLITUDE |
| ROMANCE |
If you are an adventurous soul - whether travelling in a small group, on an adventure for two or flying solo - and you want an idyllic spot in which to stop, relax, read and breathe in the silence, Te Wepu is just the place.
Although you'll be a 15-30 minute hike from the nearest road - in the midst of a working cattle farm - you'll sleep on real beds in double-glazed, New Zealand-made pods with WiFi; more solid than canvas, much more romantic than an ordinary hotel room.
Unique Experiences at Te Wepu - Intrepid Pod Retreats
- A private wood fired, spring fed hot tub heated for your arrival (this is included in the nightly price)
- An optional walk up the the pod site which follows a stream and has many points of interest along the way.
- An escape surround by Kanuka bush - only an hour from Christchurch.
Why You Will Love Te Wepu - Intrepid Pod Retreats
In just over an hour from Christchurch, you will find your perch above one of the most tranquil bays on Canterbury's magnificent Banks Peninsula. Far from the tour bus hoards, you'll sink in to a steaming wood-fired hot tub under an abundance of stars and, if you choose, you can even enjoy sumptuous local fare delivered to your door ... Banks Peninsula boasts a glorious micro-climate and, in the heat of summer, the hot tubs make pretty awesome cold tubs too!
- "I wont give away all of the treasures that await you, but if you want a weekend away that's got a rustic kiwi vibe with some the creature comforts of home, this is the place to go"
- "Nothing generic about this experience at all! Thanks again, Kate and Richie - you are awesome hosts and have a beautiful property"
- "The views were immediately breathtaking, and the pods well decked out with all you need for your ultimate glamping experience. We settled in and got stuck into the delights that awaited is in our BBQ hamper, this included local wine and cheese, meat fresh from the farm, and a top notch serving of Kate's ginger crunch - my favourite! As the sun went down, we watched the solar lights come to life and listened to the bird calls, total bliss"
Pod - MAX GUESTS: 2
1 x Queen bed.
MINIMUM 2 NIGHTS BOOKING.
The pods sites have been strategically positioned out of sight and sound from each other. Each one has its own private setting including wood fired hot tub (emptied, cleaned and refreshed after each guest), fire pit, WiFi, an eco-friendly waterless (and odourless) Bioloo, camping facilities including a gas BBQ, and delicious fresh spring water.
Each site has two pods.
A sleeping pod which comes with a high quality comfortable queen bed and luxury linen and solar power ensures lighting and the ability to charge phones.
The other pod is your utility pod with a changing area with towels and bathrobes for your hot tub experience and a kitchenette which comes with gas BBQ and high quality chilly bin. Cooking utensils and crockery are also provided.
There is no vehicle access to the Pods apart from the Bococks 4X4 Kubota (known as Donald) so you can choose to either:
- Have yourselves and your gear delivered to your Pod door by your hosts, or
- Send your gear up in the 4x4 and you can hike up. The hiking track takes about 20-30 minutes. It begins at the carpark, alongside the home of our resident Morepork. It takes you through a Rhododendron dell and a Walnut grove, alongside the Te Wepu stream, and finishes with a short climb through farmland to your Pod.
Included in your nightly price are:
- The 5 minute drive to and from your Pod (if required)
- A comfortable bed with luxurious linen
- Bath robes and towels
- Camping facilities, including gas BBQ and high quality chilly bin.
- Fire pit and a wood-fed hot tub
- A light breakfast (and a few other essentials) Getting away from it all does not mean you have to go without a cuppa!
On the morning of check-out, your hosts will bring the 4x4 to collect you and your luggage or you can wander back down the marked track in your own time and meet your bags at the carpark.
**Our check in time is strict. 3pm-5pm in winter hours and 3pm-6pm in Summer hours. We will recommend re-booking if this is not possible. There are no street lights up there so we want you tucked up before it gets dark. We also have after hours family commitments as well. - Thank you for your understanding with this.
per night (up to 2 guests)
18+ Not Suitable for Children
Property Manager on site
4WD access only
Good mobile service
Generators not allowed
A wood fed private hot tub heating for your arrival and solar electricity.
Fire Pit (when there is no fire ban in place)
Sustainable Stays: Eco | Off Grid | Organic
Outdoor Bath | Hot Tub
Eating & Drinking
Once you are at your Pod, you can either prepare and cook your food that you've bought yourself, on the BBQ that is provided. Or you have arrived to one of Kate's hampers (some basic cooking skills are still required but it is as simple as turning the BBQ on and flipping a steak). Kate's hamper can be ordered at the time of booking.
The utility pod has a kitchenette which comes with gas BBQ and high quality chilly bin. Cooking utensils and crockery are also provided.
Extras Some handy things you might need that the property owner can supply
A BBQ hamper is available for purchase.
This includes our Te Wepu farmed beef (processed to MPI Standards elsewhere), fresh salady things or winter salady things, the infamous cob loaf and a bottle of local wine.
The food is delivered in a hamper and the cooking of it is up to the guests using the BBQ and facilities at the Pod site.
Guests are welcome to bring their own food as well which is preferred for people suffering from allergies.
Te Wepu Meat Pack
This is the Te Wepu farmed beef meat pack only, without the rest of the hamper.
It includes two pieces of top quality steak and 4 sausages.
Te Wepu Cob Loaf
Growing more and more famous by the visit, the Cob loaf can be purchased on its own without the rest of the hamper.
It contains Gluten and Dairy and is unable to be made dairy or gluten free unfortunately.
About the Landowner, Kate
Te Wepu was founded in 1843 and has been farmed ever since by a succession of New Zealanders with varied backgrounds.
It can be found in the historic French Farm Valley on the western side of Akaroa Harbour on Banks Peninsula, roughly an hour from Christchurch.
The harbour has a warm climate which the local Maori - Waitaha, then Ngati Mamoe and later Ngai Tahu - found beneficial for growing the kumara (sweet potato). The French arrived in Akaroa in 1840. A heritage-listed French Farm house sits in the Bococks' neighbour's paddock.
Today, Te Wepu is a working farm with cattle grazing, and has plans in place for an avocado orchard. You are welcome to hike to the very top of the farm, on a well-marked track, and enjoy the panoramic views of Akaroa Harbour, Onawe Peninsula and French Farm Valley or simply relax in your hot tub and soak in the view.
More Listings Near By
Karetu Downs Farm Stay
The Waituna Cottage
Ribblesdale Gardens Cottage