The Wine drinkers Cottage was built in 1910 and shifted to its current semi-rural site in the early 2000's.
It is a four minute drive to central Carterton and four minutes the other way to Greytown. The owners love living in Wairarapa as much as they love a glass of wine in the evenings. We have two bikes here people can borrow and are happy to take anyone to the train station or bus. We are a 20 minute walk into the CBD but we are semi rural with nice views.
- We are really only a short drive from at least 20 great wineries and close to fantastic shopping in Greytown.
- If you want to visit lighthouses, lakes, seals, the sea, Lord of the Rings filming sites and much more, we are the place to stay.
- You might also visit Carterton, known as the heart of the Wairarapa, there are many wonderful wineries in the area to visit, along with fresh and funky eateries.
- Carters Scenic Reserve - Kahikatea Walk - 30 minutes - short walk. From Carterton follow Park Road to the end. Turn left into Carters Line and right into Gladstone Road. The reserve is signposted approx. 3km along Gladstone Road. The carpark is about 500m along the driveway.
- Deliverance Cove Track - 1-2 hours - walking track. Castlepoint Scenic Reserve. Castlepoint is located on Wairarapa's east coast about a one hour drive from Masterton. Turn right into Te Ore Ore Road on the outskirts of Masterton. This road becomes the Masterton Castlepoint Road and leads directly to Castlepoint Scenic Reserve.
- Featherston Reserves Walkway - Four short walking tracks. Featherston Domain is accessible from Revans Street, Bell Street or Harrison Street West. Barr-Brown Reserve is best accessed from Underhill Road.
- Fensham Reserve - 1-2 hours return. To get there, turn down Belvedere Road off State Highway 2 at Carterton and drive a few kms unitl you get to Cobden Rd. Turn right and the reserve is located on the junction of Cobden Road and Haringa Road.
- Greytown Woodside Trail - 5km walking or cycling rail from Greytown to Woodside Railway Station. If you walk it, it will take at least one and a quarter hours per direction. Join the Trail from Cotter Street, the second left street off Humphries Road (turn off Main Street at the Challenge Service Station). The Trail is open every day.
- Henley Lake Circuit - Flat walking tracks - I hour round trip, also suitable for cycling. Henley Lake is in Masterton on Te Ore Ore Road to Castlepoint and Riversdale.
Unique Experiences at The Winedrinkers Cottage
- Wonderful walking tracks all around the district
- The Waiohine Gorge and swing bridge are just up the road
- Oodles of great wineries and eating places very close by
Why You Will Love The Winedrinkers Cottage
We are semi-rural which means its not too far from the shops and eateries, but we are surrounded by farmland and a few pets wandering around the property.
The Winedrinkers Cottage
Our cute little cottage is not posh but it is homely, warm and comes with a great rural/hill outlook. It is fully self contained with two queen size bedrooms, a sun room, bathroom with shower and laundry.
The main house is hidden by a large hedge so after arriving you can be guaranteed to be able to stay in privacy. We have plenty of parking and a bike or two able to be borrowed should you wish to exert yourself.
per night (up to 4 guests)
Property Manager on site
Good mobile service
Dump point nearby
-Shop/groceries with 5kms
Access to: Lakes | Rivers | Streams | Beaches
Farm Tour Available
Fishing Access (BYO gear)
Rafting | Kayaking | Canoeing
Do Something Different
Farm Animals to Meet
About the Landowner, Barry
The Cottage is tucked away down a long drive. It's exactly four minutes drive to Carterton shopping area and four minutes the other way to Greytown. There are special things on every day in the Wairarapa, its a vibrant area and only an hour from Wellington city should you want to head to the bright lights. The train service both North and South is great, you don't have to drive if you would prefer not to. We also have some stunning Coastline, Light houses, seals lying around on the rocks and whitebait fritters at Lake Ferry.
There is a team behind The Wine Drinkers Cottage, we live in the Main House which is situated on the corner of a one acre block. Plenty of privacy. Personally, I love to restore Mini cars, drink red wine, eat different foods and spend time with my family.
We are in a semi rural location, the closest neighbour are the horses in the paddock next door. We have some great walks in the Wairarapa, along with stunning vineyards, a car racing track, and aviators galore. The whole region makes sure that there are interesting and fun things on every day. No one sits around bored in this area.
Languages spoken: English
More Listings Near By
Te Ore Ore
Ica Station Homestead
The Summit Lodge
The Cooks Cottage, Homewood Station