Greenstone Retreat is in middle of everywhere and away from it all. It is a place to escape from the crazy world and enter into wild, relaxing and comfortable spaces, to socialise with other guests, or to be alone. Come enjoy our wild gardens on an environmentally friendly property with abundant bird life and stunning stars at night.
Kumara village has lots to offer and is in a great central location to other attractions on the West Coast.
- Rivers, lakes and beach all within 10 minutes drive. Hokitika and Greymouth are 20 minutes,
- Punakaiki is an hour and the glaciers, ski fields, mountains and Westport are within 2 hours drive.
- Come and enjoy the area with the amazing Wilderness Cycle Trail, walking and mountain biking tracks.
- The stars are great viewing and the area is a photographers dream.
- Not to mention the award winning Theatre Royal Hotel within walking distance.
- Look at kumarawestcoast.org for more.
Unique Experiences at Greenstone Retreat
- Quiet location on edge of village & walking distance from local hotel/pub.
- Near Wilderness Cycle trail & other small walks.
- Stars, Birds, Puppy and Magic..... need I say more
Why You Will Love Greenstone Retreat
The guests that find this place seem to be wonderful, respectful, interesting and social. Stories are shared between cyclists on the wilderness trail, Kiwi families on holiday, young international travelers and retired adventurers.
Greenstone Retreat has new small dorms with bedding & bathrooms. Rooms sleep 4 in sturdy bunks. Newly created and decorated, these 4 bed dorms have lots of space, sturdy comfortable beds, new carpets, bedding and pillows. Warm heaters, hot water bottles, beanbags and blankets keep it cosy, whilst being light and bright during the day. New bathrooms next door with amazing hot showers!
- BBQ facilities
- Shared kitchen (outside undercover) with electric kettle, fridge, crockery, cutlery, pots, pans and hotplates
- Pets are allowed on request. No extra charges.
- Shared lounge/TV area, Games room, library, darts, Board games/puzzles and books, DVDs, music for children
- WiFi is available in the hotel rooms and is free of charge.
- Free private parking is possible on site (reservation is not needed).
- Vending machine (snacks)
- Shuttle service (additional charge), Luggage storage, Tour desk
*To book a private room, please book all 4 beds.
*Laundry facilities $5 extra.
per night (up to 1 guests)
$33.00 per additional guest
-2WD access all areas
Property Manager on site
-Shop/groceries with 5kms
About the Landowner, Kate
I arrived on the West Coast at the tender age of 25 from Dorset, England and promptly found a place that I could call home.
After working in hospitality in Franz Josef, Hokitika, then four and a half years in Punakaiki, I bought a rundown property in Kumara.
The property had been on the market for more than 10 years and needed a lot of love. It had beautiful bones and a nice feeling even though it was rotting, wild, smashed and broken in places.
After a few hectic hard years of working full-time, learning as I went, landscaping and renovating, I took the leap of faith and opened the Villa as a holiday home and started the business of Greenstone Retreat.
The name stems from the road it is located on, along with a strong history of Greenstone Carvers which have made a home here in years gone by. A year passed with just a holiday home open and more building and development using the skills of local builders, friends and tradesmen.
The retreat is now entering a new phase and will be offering Yoga classes, massage, reflexology, Sudjok Korean Therapy and other healing treatments throughout summer in the brand-new 3 Oaks @ Greenstone Retreat. Hidden within a tent surrounded by wild garden and the sweet music of birdsong, this tranquil space allows you to relax, rejuvenate and reconnect with your soul and spirit.
My springer spaniel Scout is my entertainment - as well as meet and greet manager. Between us we enjoy getting to know each guest, learning and sharing the stories and going the extra mile with genuine interest and kindness. Who knows what comes next, but I see a few more large tents, a couple of powered sites, workshops for healing and yoga, organics, creating music and art and who knows what else! I am always open to ideas and feedback.
I love my home here and am happy to share the space with you. It will never be finished, it will always be a little wild and is progressing organically.
I look forward to welcoming you to my home.
More Listings Near By
Blue Spur Farmstay
Greenstone Retreat Villa