| FISHING |
| FARM TOURS |
Looking to get away from the rat race and enjoy the quiet, uncomplicated, country air?
Or maybe take time out on a working farm or fancy a spot of fishing in one of New Zealand's revered trout and salmon rivers?
The Whare is the place to be!
ACTIVITIES NEARBY ...
- Fishing is welcome in the mighty Rangitata River, with an unprecedented 5km of river access directly from the farm, or you can fish in the surf with the Pacific Ocean less than 2kms away. The Rangitata River is famous for its salmon fishery, and favoured by salmon anglers particularly in the surf at the river's mouth. Best fishing at the mouth is from mid-November to mid-March. The Rangitata is also noted for its sea-run brown trout early in the season, as well as whitebait, while at other times of the year it is also possible to catch kahawai as big schools are often seen near the mouth.
- Enjoy walking and mountain biking (BYO bike) with lots of farm tracks to explore
- Base yourself for the in ski season with Round Hill Ski Area, Mt Dobson and Mt Hutt ski areas all within easy driving distance
- Farm tours can be arranged with prior notice
The surrounding area is also worth exploring too. Within 30 minutes of the property you'll find the picturesque town of Geraldine with its many great shops. It is also the home of the Talbot Forest Cheese factory and Barkers, as well as the notable Geraldine Vintage Car and Machinery Museum, one of the finest collects of vintage machinery, veteran cars, tractors and machinery in the Southern Hemisphere. Peel Forest with its abundance of walking tracks, canyoning and whitewater rafting options and horse trekking is also nearby, or take a drive to Ashburton or Lake Hood.
Unique Experiences at Coldstream Estate: The Whare
- Kids meeting animals, feeding lambs, chickens, etc
- Fabulous farm walking and biking tracks
- Unprecedented river access, great fishing!
Why You Will Love Coldstream Estate: The Whare
Fantastic secluded spot, away from the hustle and bustle of the city with stunning rural backdrop on the banks of the mighty Rangitata River, one of New Zealand's leading salmon fishing rivers.
It's a great place to get away with family or for a romantic weekend. There is plenty of space for children to enjoy exploring, with many farm walking and biking tracks, and the beach is less than a mile away. While it is not good for swimming it is a lovely spot for a long walk or skimming stones.
The farm itself has a wonderful long history. It is one of the few remaining farms to be kept in the same family for more than 150 years. At their height the Studholme Brothers were one of the largest, if not the largest, landowners in early New Zealand with farms from Southland to as far north as Raglan. The Whare was once the station cook shop. Today, Coldstream Estate is just 2000ha. It is a progressive mixed sheep and cropping farm, specialising in growing specialist seed crops for the international market.
The Whare Boutique Accomodation - MAX GUESTS: 4
Bedroom 1: 1 x Super King bed
Bedroom 2: 1 x King Single
Bedroom 3: 1 x King Single
The Whare is ideally suited to one couple or a family, or perhaps two families sharing the inside spaces with children camping outside.
Full linen and towels supplied. Beds are made up with 100% cotton linen. Feather and down duvets and blankets are provided.
Situated in a picturesque part of the property, The Whare is surrounded by established trees. In recent years it has been lovingly transformed from former station cookhouse into luxury private accommodation, while retaining as much of its historical character as possible.
It is fully equipped with a fabulous large open-plan kitchen and dining room complete with cosy open fire, separate bathroom featuring a claw-foot bath, and a snug area with log burner. There is also a large outdoor area with barbeque for those long summer evenings or nights admiring uninterrupted views of the glorious night sky, as well as a well-stocked library of books and DVDs, and free Wifi available to bide time on those lazy days.
The Whare also has a full laundry with washing machine, dryer and ironing facilities.
.EATING & DRINKING
- A wonderful breakfast hamper which includes local or homestead garden stewed fruits or compote, natural yoghurt, homemade granola, farm fresh eggs, bread and condiments and tea and coffee, is included in this rate
- Bring your own food and enjoy the large outdoor dining area complete with BBQ or treat yourselves and pre-order a dinner hamper or platter or join your hosts for a relaxed country dinner in the main homestead. Your own personal chef can also be organised on request in advance, or if you would rather eat out, both Geraldine and Ashburton have a wide array of eating options.
per night (up to 2 guests)
$50.00 per additional guest
2WD caravan accessible
-2WD access all areas
Good mobile service
Horse Grazing Available
Full cooking facilities
Farm Tour Available
Fishing Access (BYO gear)
Glow worms to visit
Extras Some handy things you might need that the property owner can supply
Local prime steak or lamb chops to BBQ at your leisure served with fresh local or homestead vegetables or salad, prepared ready for you to enjoy OR Homemade lasagne prepared and ready for you to enjoy served with fresh salad.
Vegetarian option also available on request.
Delicious platter for two including local condiments, cheeses, smoked salmon, meats, crackers, and olives, together with a complementary bottle of wine.
A delicious family dinner at the main homestead with your hosts complete with cheese platter, main course and dessert utilising delicious homegrown produce and accompanied by some fabulous New Zealand wine.
Can be booked by arrangement prior to arrival.
Summer BBQ Pack
Delicious summer BBQ pack made up of locally sourced, farm fresh steak, lamb chops and sausages enough to feed 2-4 people.
About the Landowner, Annie
We are Alastair and Annie Studholme,
- Since 2004 Joe%u2019s middle son, Alastair, has farmed at Coldstream with his wife, Annie, and two children Olivia and Will. Alastair gained a degree in Agricultural Commerce from Lincoln University. He is currently developing spray irrigation and integrating a larger cropping enterprise at Coldstream.
More Listings Near By
Karetu Downs Farm Stay
The Waituna Cottage
Ribblesdale Gardens Cottage