| NZ HISTORY |
| SOLITUDE |
| RAIL TRAIL |
The ultimate in self-contained accommodation right in the heart of historic Lawrence, Otago's first goldrush town. Located up the hill in a quiet street, we are very conveniently located with just a short stroll to the cafes, restaurants, eclectic range of retail shops and local supermarket.
We hope you take some time to explore our diverse region and soak up the history of Otago's first gold-rush town. You won't be disappointed!
- At the height of the gold fever, the Lawrence population swelled to over 11,500, making it one of the largest communities in the country. These days life is much more relaxed in Lawrence. With a small, friendly population of around 470 residents, it has so much to offer.
- beautiful old architecture and information boards
- visit the town's museum
- meet the locals in the great selection of giftware/antique shops
- relax in the cafes and restaurants
- try your luck for some gold in the river at Gabriel's Gully (gold pans are available to hire from the Information Centre)
- take in a round of golf at the stunning 9 hole golfcourse.
- take a scenic 30 minute drive over Waipori
- visit the beautiful Lake Mahinerangi for a spot of fishing
On a beautiful day, a walk through historic Gabriel's Gully or a bike/ walk up the Clutha Gold Trail is hard to beat.
CLUTHA GOLD TRAIL
The trail is only a few minutes bike ride from our door and offers a unique heritage experience set within diverse and stunning landscapes. It is an easy grade trail that is full of variety, from undulating to flat to meandering.
Mountain bikes and helmets (a requirement on New Zealand roads) are available for taking on the Clutha Gold Trail.
Jailbreak guests are welcome to leave their vehicle at our property while they are biking the Clutha Gold trail. We can recommend a bike transfer company to/from Lawrence/Beaumont/Roxburgh to meet guests and return them to Lawrence (additional cost).
Unique Experiences at Jailbreak Cottage - Old Lawrence town jail
- Meet the locals in the great selection of giftware/antique shops just a short stroll away or relax in the cafes and restaurants.
- Bike the Clutha Gold Trail, just a few minutes from our door
- A few kilometres away is Gabriel's Gully, the first place in New Zealand to find payable gold
Why You Will Love Jailbreak Cottage - Old Lawrence town jail
Great location, warm and private cottage.
Whatever you choose to do, you will find friendly people who are happy to help and share this beautiful part of New Zealand.
2 x Single beds (No such thing as double beds in jail ... although easy to push together)
The old town jail has been restored and converted into a characterful but comfortable self-contained cottage, which sleeps two in the atmospheric surroundings of the original cell - complete with cell door with peephole.
With its own entrance, off-street parking and plenty of room to park your bikes.
The distressed timber boards and original cell door give the "cell" authentic jailhouse character, but the modern beds with Alpaca duvets are much more warm and comfortable!
Jailbreak offers everything you need for a pleasant short stay in Lawrence, including:
- Kitchenette containing benchtop oven, microwave, small fridge, toaster, kettle, coffee plunger, crockery and utensils
- Private bathroom with shower (shampoo and soap provided)
- All linen provided
- Tea, coffee, sugar and milk
- Freeview TV and DVD player
- Free Broadband WiFi
- Off-street parking and plenty of room to store your bikes
- No-smoking on property
- No cleaning of property at completion of stay required - this is included in the charge.
We can recommend the local cafes for a hearty cooked breakfast. Alternatively the local 4 Square supermarket is only a short stroll away where you can purchase your own breakfast items.
Check-in is after 2.00 pm and check-out is 10.00 am. Dependent on other bookings, we can be flexible with this.
per night (up to 2 guests)
Property Manager on site
Good mobile reception
Shop/groceries with 5kms
About the Landowner, Mel
Mel and Colin Foster are your hosts at Jailbreak Cottage Accommodation.
Mel is originally from Christchurch and Colin is a little further from his home in Ayrshire, Scotland. They moved to Lawrence in 2015 looking for a change in lifestyle and have been immersing themselves in the beauty of the region and all it has to offer ever since.
Mel and Colin keep themselves busy in the mornings with their other business - owning one of the local Rural Post rounds. Mel also does some administration work and Colin is an IT Consultant specialising in website and software development.
For something completely different, they have recently gone into partnership with another Lawrence couple and purchased a run-down retail shop on the main street. This is slowly being brought back to its former glory with one side already open as a fantastic chocolate shop/patisserie which is very popular with the locals!
Widely travelled, Mel and Colin appreciate the importance of having a clean, comfortable and warm place to stay. They are very much looking forward to welcoming visitors to their unique cottage accommodation in the heart of Lawrence.
More Listings Near By
Round Hill Cottage
The Little Red School House
Taieri Bank Cottage